When the tenancy of 1 Devonshire Terrace expired in the autumn of 1851, the Victorian author Charles Dickens moved his family to new premises at Tavistock House. Dickens had obrtained the lease from his friend and fellow Shakespeare Society member, the artist Frank Stone.
The home was in the northern part of Tavistock Square in the Bloomsbury area of central London, which had been developed in the 1820s by the builder Thomas Cubitt.
In 1858, while living at Tavistock House Dickens separated from his wife, Catherine Dickens. In 1856 Dickens bought Gads Hill Place in Kent, but he did not sell the lease for Tavistock House until August 1860, after his daughter Kate Dickens‘ marriage.
Tavistock House was demolished in 1901, and its former location is covered today by the headquarters of the British Medical Association in Tavistock Square.
A blue plaque commemorates Charles Dickens and Tavistock House.
[box type=”info” size=”medium” style=”rounded” border=”full”]Click here to view the Wikipedia entry for Tavistock House.