In 1821, the Dickens family moved from Ordnance Terrace and lived at 18 St Mary’s Place, The Brook, in Chatham. The house was next to a Wesleyan Chapel.

John Dickens had downsized the family home due to increasing financial difficulties and the area known as The Brook was a far cry from Ordnance Terrace. Referred to locally as ‘Town Ditch’ the area was frequented by sailors after a good time.

The stay at St. Mary’s Place was short-lived as in the summer of 1822, John Dickens was posted back to London and he moved his family once more, this time settling in a house at Bayham Street, Camden Town, London

 

Location.

This house at 18 St. Mary’s Place was demolished just after the Second World War and the site is now covered by a shopping centre.