The George and Vulture is a public house (not to be confused with others with the same name in London) in Castle Court, near Lombard Street, City of London that was frequented by the Victorian author Charles Dickens.
The current building dates from 1748 but it is said that an inn has been on the same site since the thirteenth century.
The first Coffee House in London, dating from 1652 and known as Pasqua Rosee Inn, was located very close to the site of the George and Vulture.
Charles Dickens and the George and Vulture.
Charles Dickens was a frequent customer George and Vulture and he mentioned it at least 20 times in his novel The Pickwick Papers. The George and Vulture has been the headquarters of the City Pickwick Club since its foundation.
The man in the brown coat, with the cabalistic documents in his pocket, was no other than our old acquaintance Mr. Jackson, of the house of Dodson & Fogg, Freeman’s Court, Cornhill. Instead of returning to the office whence he came, however, he bent his steps direct to Sun Court, and walking straight into the George and Vulture, demanded to know whether one Mr. Pickwick was within.
When threatened with demolition Cedric Charles Dickens, the author’s great-grandson, campaigned to save it. Since 1950 it has been the home of his Dickens Pickwick Club and, in the same year, it became the venue for the annual Christmas Day Dickens Family gathering in the Dickens Room.
The George and Vulture is located in Castle Court alleyway, just off Lombard Street in the City of London. The nearest underground station is Bank.
The George and Vulture is close to Simpsons Tavern, another favourite of Charles Dickens.
Further Reading (external sources).